“When I started, I thought Bridge would be so hard. I thought I would only learn about rich, white people. Then we read Plato’s ‘Allegory of the Cave,’ where he described people locked up, stopped by their fear and prejudice. The metaphor represented all of us in the classroom – no matter what color our skin is . . . but our time in Bridge has taught us to look for the good . . . For the past nine months, my classmates and I have become a family.“ -2007 Bridge student
Bridge is a free program.
- Take free writing and humanities classes for nine months
- Earn up to 15 units of college credit (5 units for each of three quarters)
- Work closely with your teachers and tutors (we help you every step of the way)
- Receive free textbooks and supplies for classes – even bus tokens to help you get to and from class
What makes Bridge different, besides the cost?
- Program instructors encourage community engagement – that means we want to know what you think.
- Bridge is a supportive environment. We don’t believe anyone needs to compete in class. Instead, we are a community, where everyone helps each other.
- Our goal is to remove some of the barriers that would make it hard for you to come to class. That’s why we want to help with books and bus tokens.
The program runs from October to June each year. Our next round of classes will start next October, although we accept applications throughout the year. Classes meet on two evenings a week at either Antioch University Los Angeles in Culver City, or at the Boyle Heights Technology Youth Center.
Antioch University Los Angeles
400 Corporate Pointe, Culver City, CA 90230
Classes Begin October 2nd
Classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30-9:30pm
Boyle Heights Technology Youth Center
1600 E. 4th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033
Classes Begin October 1st
Classes are Mondays and Wednesdays, 6:00-9:00pm
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be able to read a newspaper in English.
- You must belong to a low-income household. (We define this earning up to 200% of the federal poverty guidelines: around $22,000/year for an individual or around $44,000/year if you’re supporting a family)
No high school diploma is required.
To be a successful Bridge student, you must also:
- Have a willingness to participate fully and responsibly in class discussions
- Be ready to participate fully in completing homework assignments – and ask for help when you need it
- Make a full commitment to the program – as well as your classmates, your teachers, and yourself – for the full nine months
All students who complete the course will receive a Certificate of Accomplishment and can receive up to 15 units of college credit from Antioch University Los Angeles.
For More Information, or to submit your application:
CALL 310-578-1080 x-300