FAQs about MA in Clinical Psychology

Do I want an MA or a doctorate? Psychology or Social Work?

A PhD or PsyD Degree most often takes five years to complete, and may lead to licensure as a Clinical Psychologist. A Masters degree in social work, known as a Masters of Social Work (MSW), leads to licensure as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and is often oriented toward work in social agencies. Antioch University’s MA degree prepares students for further doctoral study and also meets the requirements for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. These days, MFTs work with a wide range of individual and family problems in agencies and in private practice.

Does AULA accept graduate courses transferred from another school?

If the courses are from another accredited graduate program in psychology, were not used as part of a completed degree, and are less than five years old, you may transfer up to (9) quarter units with approval of the Registrar and program faculty. If you transfer in nine quarter units, one quarter of residency is waived.

How do I find a setting for clinical training?

The Antioch University Clinical Training Office provides resources and guidance to assist students in finding appropriate clinical training settings.

What is required for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist?

Licensure requirements change often. Antioch University's Clinical Training Office provides students with accurate information and prepares them for dealing with licensure issues in their future professional lives. If you plan to move to another state, you should learn licensing requirements for that location and incorporate them into your Antioch University program. Current California licensure requirements for Marriage and Family Therapists are available from the Board of Behavioral Science at: www.bbs.ca.gov.

Will I be able to find work as a MFT?

Currently it is not realistic to anticipate immediate success in opening a full-time, private practice in locations where many therapists already practice. That said, there is more work now than ever before if you wish to practice in under served area and/or with diverse populations. Furthermore, many people believe that the future of the profession is in the hands of master’s degree holders as MA level professional are less costly to employ than those who hold PhDs or MDs. Today, the need for mental health professional is growing at a more rapid rate than the number of mental health professionals available. Opportunities are expanding for work with many special populations, including children in foster care, older adults, adolescents, and members of the LGBT community and with such family-related issues as adoption, divorce and blended families.