Write Where Things Are Happening
AULA’s MFA in Creative Writing program is where emerging writers:
- Find their place in the larger creative community
- Develop the skills they need to make it as a writer
- Work one-on-one with professional writers in a mentor-based program
- Create a network with peer writers from across the nation and around the world
- Discover how their writing fosters social justice
- Explore arts, culture, and society, and examine where writers fit in this matrix
- Come to the AULA campus in Los Angeles twice a year for residencies –10-day, all-you-can-eat buffets of writing, reading, craft seminars, and dynamic learning opportunities
- Complete course work between residencies from the quiet of their personal writing studio, communicating with fellow students and mentors via the Internet, mail, and phone.
- Try their hand at translation, community outreach via the field study, and leading online book discussions
- Give a formal, public reading of their creative work as well as a 20-minute presentation on the literary topic of their choice
- Complete a final manuscript that showcases their finest creative work during the time in the program
- Join the community of writers who got their start at AULA, including authors of New York Times’ bestsellers, and winners of countless literary prizes.