An emphasis on preparing writers for the complete life of a literary artist.
Some MFA programs are designed to help aspiring writers complete a manuscript and find a publisher. The goals of this program are much broader.
Our MFA in Creative Writing graduates will demonstrate:
- Mastery of creative writing skills in at least one of the following genres: fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, and writing for young people.
- Critical reading, writing, and thinking skills required of a literary artist.
- Knowledge of ethical dilemmas and social values of the literary arts.
- Readiness to assume the working life of a professional writer, whether in academia, commercial or independent publishing, or within one’s community.
Learn more about our distinctive features:
- The Low-Residency Format
- Our Genres
- Our exciting MFA Field Studies
- The Art of Translation
- Post-MFA Certificate in the Teaching of Creative Writing
Experience these program extras:
- Lunch Ticket ; the MFA program’s online literary journal
- Student Success Stories
- AULA MFA Alumni on Facebook
Find answers to these frequently asked questions.