I probably don’t qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes! Many students mistakenly think they don't qualify for financial aid and prevent themselves from receiving any by simply failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid (i.e., Federal Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans and Federal PLUS loans) that are available regardless of financial need. It’s free to apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need a PIN which you can apply for at www.pin.ed.gov.

What are some of the mistakes people make when applying for financial aid?

Four of the most common mistakes are:
    • Not applying early enough
    • Not reading the instructions
    • Not fully completing the applications
    • Not using the correct Social Security number

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. The FAFSA covers July 1st of one year through June 30th of the next. After your first year, you will use the FAFSA Renewal Application which contains prepopulated information from the previous year's FAFSA. You will then be asked to supply current financial information.

What happens after I submit my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Once you have submitted your FAFSA, you should receive an email confirmation. This is verification that you submitted your FAFSA and that it is being processed. Within the next 72 hours, AULA will receive it if you have us listed as one of the schools in Section H. Questions about FAFSA processing can be directed to the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243.

I completed my FAFSA. Is my file now complete?

Not quite. We may still need additional documentation from you. If so, the Financial Aid Office will send an email to your Antioch University address requesting the documents we need. This is why it is so important for you to keep checking your Antioch University email account. Please respond to any requests right away to avoid any delays in the processing of your financial aid.

How do I know what I have been awarded?

Once your file is complete, we will package your awards and create an award letter. If you are a first-time AULA student, your first award letter will be mailed to you. After that, you can log in to your MyAntioch account at my.antioch.edu and access your award letter there. You will receive an email notification to your Antioch University address that your new (or revised) award letter is ready to download. If you have any questions regarding your award, we will be happy to answer them.

I received an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the Financial Aid Office?

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from university, state or other sources, you must report the scholarship to the Financial Aid Office.

Why does my financial aid award change each year?

There are a number of factors that can impact your financial aid from year to year. Your awards may change significantly if any of the following has occurred:
  • Your (or your family’s) financial circumstances change from one year to the next
  • You have a different number of family members in your household or in college
  • The total cost of attendance for the year has increased

What are Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans?

The interest on the Subsidized loan is paid by the government while you are in school. The interest on the Unsubsidized loan is not paid by the government while you are in school, and you have the option of paying the interest during enrollment or having it deferred until after you graduate, at which time it will be added to the principal of the loan in a process called capitalization. Keep in mind that as of July 1st, 2012, only undergraduate students will be eligible for Subsidized loans.

How much should I borrow each year so that I can afford to pay it back?

Planning ahead is essential to managing debt. If you plan to borrow each year you are in school, estimate the total amount you will borrow. Then use a sample loan repayment calculator (like the one found here) to determine how much you will have to pay each month. Keeping your debt load to a minimum will make it more likely that you will have success in repayment. For tools to assess possible wages for certain jobs, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics Resources for Students and Teachers page.

If I take a leave of absence (LOA), do I have to start repaying my loans?

Not necessarily. Federal Direct Stafford loans have a grace period of six months from your last date of attendance before the student must begin repaying the loan. (The Federal Perkins loan has a grace period of nine months.) When you take a leave of absence, you will not have to repay your loan until the entire grace period is used up. If you use up the grace period, however, you will have to begin repaying your loan immediately when you graduate, withdraw, or fall below half-time enrollment. For students in quarterly programs, it would take two consecutive terms (three months each term) to use up the grace period. For semester programs, one term (six months per term) on LOA will use up the grace period.

How do I repay my loans if my situation changes unexpectedly?

A change in career goals, the loss of a job, or other unexpected changes in your situation could make repaying your loans more difficult than you expected. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you could qualify for a deferment or forbearance if you are:
    • Enrolled at least half-time at a postsecondary school
    • Unable to find full-time employment
    • Experiencing economic hardship
    • On active military duty
Contact your loan servicer to discuss your options. You can retrieve your loan information at www.nslds.ed.gov. This is a federal website and you can login using your FAFSA PIN.

Where can I get more information about federal student financial aid?

The best places to look online are StudentAid.ed.gov and FinAid.org. You can also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243. This toll-free hotline is run by the U.S. Department of Education and can answer questions about federal student aid programs and applications.

How do I obtain a tax return transcript?

Your FAFSA may be selected for “verification” and we may need for you to submit a tax return transcript. A tax return transcript can be obtained in three ways:
  1. Apply online at www.irs.gov
  2. Call (800) 908-9946
  3. Mail or fax Form 4506T-EZ, which can be found at the IRS website

How can I find out about my credit history?

Since approval of some non-need-based education loans is based on your credit history, you may want to order a credit report in advance to see if everything is accurate. You are allowed to receive one free credit report each year from each of the three main agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) at www.annualcreditreport.com. Check the report closely and resolve any erroneous information prior to applying for education loans. We recommend that you order a new report every four months to ensure that no fraudulent activities have occurred on any of your accounts. For example: in January, order your first report from Equifax; in May, order the second from Experian; the third from TransUnion in September; repeat. In order to receive your credit score, you will have to pay about $15. Each of the agencies uses a slightly different formula to arrive at your credit score, but they are usually only off by a few points from each other. If you pay for a credit score from only one agency, the others should be close and you won’t need to pay for all three.