February 18, 2014

AULA Joins Movement To End Violence Against Women and Girls

For the Seventh Year, Students, Alumni, and Community Members Participate in V-Day

CULVER CITY, Calif. – February 18, 2014  — Students and community members from Antioch University Los Angeles will once again participate in V-Day, the global activist movement to end violence against women and girls. V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money, and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations. AULA will present two V-Day performances: V-Day’s signature performance, “A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer” on Friday, February 28, 2014 and “Any One of Us: Words From Prison” on Saturday March 1, 2014. Both performances will be held on campus at 7:00 p.m. This is the seventh year AULA has taken part in V-Day.

“The World Health Organization states that worldwide, almost one-third of all women who have been in a relationship have experienced physical and/or sexual violence by their intimate partner. In some regions this is much higher,” says Terra Forbes, co-director of the 2014 AULA V-Day events. “And that is just cases of intimate relationships, not including attacks from unknown persons.”

In advance of the performances, organizers hosted a bake sale and open mic night. All proceeds from the V-Day performances and bake sale will benefit V-Day, One Billion Rising, The Downtown Women’s Center and WriteGirl Organization(s).

“V-day offers audiences a chance to see the global struggle to end violence against women and girls first hand on a stage in their community. As a survivor of sexual assault, V-day has personally been a moment to creatively confront the stigmas and associations I’ve experienced,” says Misty Spicer, co-producer of the 2014 AULA V-Day events. “90% of all money raised goes to local community organizations working to end violence, while the remaining 10% goes to a spotlight campaign. This isn’t only a performance, it’s a movement. V-day is the prime event to show support for a cause that has affected all of us.”

Tickets and information for V-Day are available through Brown Paper Tickets at: http://vdayaula.brownpapertickets.com. The performances will take place on the Antioch University Los Angeles campus located at 400 Corporate Pointe, Culver City, 90230.

“Violence against women has affected every single person I know in some way,” notes Forbes. “V-Day gives us a voice to act against it – to take this serious problem out from under the rug it gets swept under and shine a light on it. This is my third year participating in V-Day at AULA and I am always honored to be a part of such a wonderful community of activists.”

V-Day: V-Day is a movement that is grounded in the concept of “empowerment philanthropy.” Every year thousands of V-Day benefit events take place on college campuses and in communities throughout the world, raising funds for groups working on the ground to end violence against women and girls. V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation, and sex slavery. In fourteen years, the V-Day movement has raised over $90 million.

 

About Antioch University Los Angeles

Antioch University Los Angeles (AULA) provides a rigorous progressive education to prepare students for the complexities of today’s diverse societies. AULA, a not-for-profit institution and part of the Antioch University system, has served the greater Los Angeles area for 40 years. The core values of social justice, service to the community and lifelong learning lie at the heart of the BA degree completion program and master’s degree programs in Nonprofit Management, Education and Teacher Credentialing, Psychology, Creative Writing, and Urban Sustainability.

Inspired by the work of pioneering educator Horace Mann, Antioch University provides learner-centered education to empower students with the knowledge and skills to lead meaningful lives and to advance social, economic, and environmental justice. With campuses in Keene, New Hampshire, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Seattle, and Yellow Springs, Ohio, Antioch University is a bold and enduring source of innovation in higher education. The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. www.AntiochLA.edu