The Bridge Program: Community Humanities Education
A free college-level humanities program for low-income adults
Participate in a unique educational program that will improve your reading and writing skills and help you develop your ability to think independently, creatively and critically.
The program runs from October to June each year. Our next classes will start next October, although we accept applications throughout the year. Classes meet on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7-10pm, at Antioch University Los Angeles (400 Corporate Pointe, Culver City, CA 90230).
The Bridge Program offers students:
- Classes in Philosophy, Writing, Literature, and Art History. If you earn credit in all your classes, you can also earn up to 15 college credits.
- A supportive environment to develop reading, writing, analytical thinking and a strong individual voice — with lots of help from your instructors and tutors.
- Support in your writing throughout the nine months.
- A community, as you learn, discuss ideas, and support your classmates
- you must be 18 years of age or older
- you should be able to read a newspaper in English
- belong to a low-income household (we define this earning up to 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, around $20,000/year for an individual or around $40,000/year if you’re supporting a family)
- have a willingness to participate fully and responsibly in class sessions
- have a willingness to participate fully and responsibly in completing homework assignments
- be ready to commit to coming to class every Tuesday and Thursday night for nine months
- No high school diploma required
All students who complete the course will receive a Certificate of Accomplishment and can receive up to 12 units of college credit from Antioch University Los Angeles.
Cost: There is no cost for the student. Tuition, books, course materials, transportation, and dinner are provided at no cost whatsoever to students.
For More Information: email email@example.com or call (310) 947-3796. Join our “The Bridge Program” group on Facebook to stay connected.
DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION (PDF)